Monday, October 21, 2013

Kansas City

Photo courtesy of an unknown stranger.

I LOVE MY CITY. I'm ridiculously proud to live here and, despite all the places I've lived, will claim this as my hometown no matter where else I move.

Kansas City is where I learned the most about myself, about what I stand for and that I need to respect other people's opinions - even when they're different from mine.

I learned that I'm a runner, that I love yoga, and that running with friends is the way to go!

I learned that spending time with friends is the best. We don't need to do anything spectacular or insane,  spend any money, or even go out. Just investing in those relationships in any way is important.

I learned (after I moved out) that living close to family is just about the biggest blessing there is. Treasure it.

I learned that you're absolutely never too old to learn something new. As long as you're alive, you can and should keep growing, trying, and learning.

I learned that carrying a notebook around and writing down everything is a fantastic way to learn and grow!

I learned that girl's night is awesome and should be recognized as an official holiday.

I learned that free community events (Free Friday Night Flicks and Celebration at the Station to be specific) are an awesome way to get to know new people and to appreciate this community!

I learned that writing letters is so much fun and rewarding and that Polaroid cameras are fun and wonderful. Perfect for instantly reminiscing.

I learned that "I'll Be Home For Christmas" will always make me tear up and will mean even more to me after I move to Louisiana. (And since I'm talking about Christmas music, "Silver Bells" and "Sleigh Ride," both by Relient K, are the best versions I've heard. Ever.)

I learned that Union Station and Crown Center are THE places to go for gorgeous Christmas decorations!






And most importantly, I learned to enjoy the little moments. The happy memories. The times with friends and family that make you smile. The things that, when you look back, can help you get through a tough time.

All that to say that...you're a great place, Kansas City! I miss it here already!

No comments:

Post a Comment