Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Accepting Love

Charlie: Why do nice people choose the wrong people to date?
Bill: Are we talking about anyone specific?
Charlie: Yes.
Bill: Well, we accept the love we think we deserve.
Charlie: Can we make them know that they deserve more?
Bill: We can try.
(The Perks of Being a Wallflower)

I love this conversation. 
As much as it breaks my heart, I love it. 
Because, how true is it? 
(And I believe this applies/can apply to all areas of life, not just dating.)

Think about this:
There are people who don't accept love. They don't know how to. 
They want to, but...can't.
Sounds crazy, doesn't it?
They've spent so much time having to earn love and always falling short that they assume any genuine act of love...isn't genuine.
They see it either as an obligation or a duty.

Have you ever met someone who didn't think they were worth anything? 
Who degraded themselves? 
Who let people walk all over them and manipulate them?
Who constantly put themselves down, because that's what's been done to them?
Who kept searching for love and never seemed to find it?

Maybe you know someone like that right now.
Maybe YOU are that someone.

If you do know someone like that, I hope they'll realize how valuable they are and that they learn to accept love.
If you are the one who has a hard time accepting love, I hope you'll learn to surround yourself with real, genuine, loving people who will help you.

Do I have the answer of how to accept love?
No. I'm attempting to figure it out for myself, in my own life.
But I've been learning and will keep trying, as painful and frustrating as it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment